Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Trying is always good!

While reading the blogs and moving from a blog to another looking for interesting things to read, I came across a blog that grabbed my attention. I found it amazing or at least, gave me the impression that the blogger is someone without "dead" brain cells. To be precise, the post that I loved was about her experience with job hunting in Kuwait and how much she suffered. So I emailed her, telling her I really liked her blog and that I wanted to add her to my BlogRoll..She replied back and told me to add her to her msn.
Anyways, in that particular post, she was talking about how hard it is to find a job in Kuwait, although she's a fresh Kuwaiti graduate. She also talked about how non-hijabis are not accepted in Islamic banks and other stuff as well. It reminded me in summer 2005 when I applied for an internship in Kuwait Finance House in Bahrain. I was rejected because I wasn't covering my hair with a scarf. How sick does that sound? They said they would've taken me if I was mit7ajbah... I'm not against the 7ijab idea or anything.. sooner or later, i will wear it just like any other girl, but its totally my decision when to wear it.
It also reminded me in how much female Chemical Engineering graduates suffer in Bahrain. They never get jobs in their field because they're women even if they don't mind working in a rough environment. It's as simple as that.
Another point in how fucked up the GCC society is when it comes to mixing culture with Islam. Quite alot of people in Bahrain do that and its getting disgusting. Bahraini bloggers, please don't deny that ALOT of people do that. Thank god my family aren't people with dead brain cells, but yeah, many are. For example, you see a father drinking and pimping and when he goes home, he forces his daughter/wife to wear Hijab and all.. What's his excuse? "Islam says women have to cover their hair with a scarf at the age of 9." He might be right but he's not even religious enough to use such excuses. Was drinking ever halal in Islam?
Things like that make people so retarded. I hope our society changes one day, if not for us, for the next generations...
No3ik, you go girl ;) !

7 comments:

..G.. said...

I totally agree with you supernitfah, this discrimination happens if you're wearing hijjab too, I've been told that a few places here in Bahrain won't accept employees that are wearing the head scarf! Both ways, its discrimination. Just like discrimination aginst someones color, race or nationality.. Being a woman or a man that are qualified, they shouldn't be unaccepted based on a certain exterior criteria..

But why talk and complain about this problem when it's a reality that's hard to ammend and discharge in our sick socitey that mainly judges "who you are" based on what you wear and what car you drive.

SuperNitfah said...

..G..
Yeah the society is sick big time.. and yeah whats nice about no3ik is having the hope that it MIGHT change one day. She even started a group in q8 to support such ideas that might change one day, if not for us, for the next generations. Someone has to take a step. She did. =)

..G.. said...

I'm with you and no3ik :) I hope we could start such a thing here in bahrain :)

SuperNitfah said...

Why NOT ..g..? ;)

..G.. said...

Lets go ahead then!! :D

Any first hand plans?

P.s. Do you mind if I put you on my blogroll? :P

SuperNitfah said...

no sure you can G ;) i'll add you to mine too if you dont mind, of course.

chioma said...

Hi I am not musli or from the middleast but can relate to stuff u have talked about. I know hijab wearing ladies who have been unable to get bank jobs (of course in nigeria no one will tell u why but u just know. Thats because in comeercial banks here alot of focus is place on getting pretty girls in short skirt suits who will entice big customers(true),however there is no other job a hijab wearing or non wearing lady can get (unless its an islamic school)its about 40% muslim and 55% christian here.. the way our country is the north has a lot of muslims and the south is full christains..but we have a good mix. howeve rof late one or muslim states governor tried forcing non muslims resident in his state to dress like muslims and be governed by sharia law(doesnt make any sense)but he soft pedaled when a lot of the christians (who are the business people there)started leaving and going back south....Discrimination doesnt make sense..but luckily here wowmen get jobs pretty easily cus employers think women are more honest and less desperate then man...bye